Monday, April 1, 2013

Improv Easter Skirt

 
When I was a little girl I remember getting a new dress every spring for Easter. As I've grown up I've used that tradition as an excuse to go shopping and get something new. :o)
Last month I posted about a gorgeous bundle of voile that I had ordered.
Instead of buying something new this year I decided that I wanted to make a long flowy skirt with all of this beautiful voile.
 
I didn't use a pattern (i can't follow a clothing pattern to save my life!) and just started cutting- hence the "Improv". I cut wedge shaped (large dresden plate) pieces from each cut of fabric. Most of the fabric I had was in 1/4 or 1/3 yard cuts. Then I just started sewing them together. I don't have a serger or anything so I topstitched each seam to help minimize fraying.

 
I needed to do a little adjusting around the waist so I added darts in each panel. I made a lining from solid pink voile and attached an elastic waistband. I hemmed the bottom on Saturday afternoon. It's a little on the long side (I'll probably shorten it at some point) but I made it work. :o) I

 
I paired it with a dark coral t-shirt and an aqua cardi. You can't see my cute shoes but I wore these from Old Navy. All together it was super cute and very comfy.
(the hubs took this picture of me and #thegirl = blurry :o)
 
And now I have a cute new skirt to wear!

9 comments:

Mary Caldwell said...

Beautiful~!

Quiltjane said...

Love the skirt Emily!

Unknown said...

love it! what fun!

Cindy Sharp said...

Aren't you a clever girl! Well done.

Lynette said...

LOVE it, Emily! It's looks really good on you too. That coral shirt is perfect for it.

busyascanbe said...

To Cute! It looks so good on you too!

Martha said...

This looks great. And the shirt and cardi with it are perfect. You give me inspiration to use some of my stash for soemthing other than a quilt.

Unknown said...

Darling skirt. I would of never thought to do that. I probably would of thought it was a waste of material.

Ella said...

Love It!!!
Very Pretty!!!