Thursday, May 23, 2013

Portland!

So last weekend was quilt market in Portland, OR. It was awesome as always but took a lot out of me. The minute we drove away on Sunday evening I started getting sick. I've been battling a nasty cold the last few days but I'm finally getting to that post-market to-do list. Top of the list: Recap Blog Post. Prepare for picture overload!


My crew this year consisted of myself, my husband (aka The Hubs), my Dad (a spring Quilt Market veteran of 4 non-consecutive years) and my Mom (who has only visited market in SLC to see my booth).
Since we knew we were in for a few days of hard work we decided to play while we still had the energy.


My Dad booked an Urban Tour for us. We loaded into a van and cruised all over Portland. It was so neat to hear all the little tid-bits about life in Portland. First thing we notices was how polite people are- especially drivers. Utah could learn a thing or two from those Portlandians.



Another thing I noticed was the abundance of purple houses. I think I counted 9 of every different shade and hue of purple- and then I quit counting. :o)

 
After lunch we loaded back into the van to head into the gorge to see some waterfalls. Doesn't my husband look thrilled to be there with me!? :o)

 
This is a pic of Multnomah Falls. SO GORGEOUS!  Next time we'll take the short hike to the bridge. After shopping in the gift shop we didn't have enough time :o(


After the falls we headed up to Bonneville Dam. And of course my husband started in with the "dam" jokes (Welcome to the dam tour. I'll be your dam tour guide. Have any dam questions?) It never gets old. Or does it?


The dam has fish ladders to the salmon can still get upstream. It also has windows down below the visitors center so you can see them swimming by. This is obviously a replica but we saw several GIANT fish swim by. It was really cool. Later in the week I asked my husband what his favorite part of the trip was so far and his answer was "the salmon"  :o)

 
"Tut tut, it looks like rain." Me and my cute Mom trying to keep our hair dry. :o) Of course in Portland you always have to be prepared for rain. Although we had rain everyday it usually didn't last long and the temperature was still nice.
 
 
The only time we actually got to see Mt.Hood was on our drive into Portland. (excuse the poor quality of my cellphone through our dirty windshield :o) All the other days were low rain clouds so it remained hidden. It sure is a site to see though jutting up all by itself surrounded by valley. Just Beautiful.
 
I think that's enough pictures for now. I'll get to the "market" part of our trip tomorrow. :o)

 

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Great pics! We love the gorge and go back every chance we get. The waterfalls are so awesome! The Columbia River is astonishing. Love watching the barges going up and down and the windsurfers in the Hood River area are so fun to watch. We are also always amazed at how calm the driver's are. I suppose when you drive in all of that traffic every day you just have to learn to live with it and have some patience. California drivers could learn a a thing from them, too.

PeggyinNO said...

Thanks for the Portland tour! My DD lives there and we try to make it out there at least twice a year (next trip will be driving from New Orleans to Portland in July!) Multnomah Falls is my absolute favorite thing to see (other than my DD and her hubby)
Glad you were able to see some of the noteworthy sites while you were there.

Beth said...

My first trip there, my BIL loaded DD and I into the car and drove us to teh top of Mt Hood. It was fun throwing snowballs in July.
Portland is a lot of fun.
I am sorry I missed market this time.

Judy1522 said...

Glad you enjoyed your time in Portland. Those of us that live here pretty much expect it to rain and then are surprised when it doesn't. Be glad you were not here this week as we had lots of rain every day, but it is also very green and beautiful in my yard